04 January 2009

Back to the grind tomorrow...Eden starts school again and our routine will be back in full force, as evidenced by my mile-long to-do list on the counter. I am sort of craving the routine though so I am happy about it...(don't ask me tomorrow when the alarm goes off at 6am though).

Tonight I made a pot roast but it was taking forever to cook through and the kids were hungry at 6ish so we gave them salad and sandwiches and sent them to bed. The roast was done around 7pm and Eden popped out of bed, looking very un-sleepy. She happily enjoyed the fact that we allowed her to stay up and take bites of our roast and potatoes and carrots. We had fun just talking with her, sharing our meal, and giving her some much-needed undivided attention. She really relishes that from us. It reminded me of nights when I couldn't sleep and I would appear in the kitchen to find my dad bending over the open oven door, broiling some large aromatic cut of meat. He would cut me bites and feed them to me as I stood next to his chair with my mouth open like a baby bird. We bonded over Monday Night Football and steak. Ah, good times.

1 comment:

Brynn said...

oh my goodness. I bought a steak just to sizzle it all to heck on the broiler just like you said. aaahhh the days... OH! and the knife sharpened pencils....you can't beat that.