03 November 2009

Feeding/Speech Differences

Notice the title says "differences" and not "problems." I am trying to really change my perspective on Esias' progress and not think of his challenges as problems, but rather as milestones he is reaching one by one, and not necessarily at the same time as other kids his age, or even younger. He is doing so well, it seems wrong to dwell on the few things that he is not up to age on. That being said, we are going to the speech path. for another swallow study today. We had it scheduled for last week but I had to cancel due to being sick. I was glad they could get us in so soon.

What we're working on today is:

-Still choking with thickened liquids- thickening 3 scoops rice cereal per 6 oz bottle.
-No attempts to chew
-Choking when swallowing soft foods is attempted.
-Few babbles, does not mimic speech
-Still eating thickened pureed foods for main source of foods (and formula)

The improvements we've seen:
-Not spitting up as often
-Reflux has improved some
-Mimics our actions
-Has begun to self-feed things like banana, muffins, bread

Thursday the Grant Wood AEA is coming to evaluate him for services. They have a program called Early Access that is free if your child qualifies for services. Thank God for a country like ours with federal grants for programs like these. I am certain he will qualify.

Praise God for His improvements, and we continue to trust Him to bring Esias along in his progression. We are thankful that he is healthy and content and that we are here where medical intervention is easily accessible!

3 comments:

HollyMarie said...

It really is a blessing that we have access to so much help for our children, isn't it? I'm glad you've seen some improvement w/ Esias; you'll see much more I'm sure before the year is out.

Margaret and Cordel said...

It is a blessing that we have access to so much here in the USA!! So SO SO glad to hear that Esias is improving in so many areas and that he is such a happy happy little man! You can tell he is VERY loved!! :)

codi said...

So awesome to hear what a great perspective you have on these differences (of course they might seem extra different to you because you had 2 crazy smart and verbal girls before E !!). Truly, though, what a blessing you guys and Esias have each other now. He is such a sweet gift, and I love hearing about how the Lord is working in his little life.