28 November 2009

Esias' First Picture


This picture of E was taken when he was 1 month 15 days old, I believe. I think this is the first picture of him, ever. It is the picture that is on his paperwork and also in his adorable little passport. His little cheeks look windburned. What strikes me about this picture is that his eyes are still shiny and healthy looking. He had just come from the care of his birthmother, however impoverished she may have been, she was still his mother and he was nurtured by her. When he entered the institution, his eyes lost their shine. He grew weaker and weaker, and lost a little bit of himself that probably won't return. I don't blame this on his birthmother, of course. She knew he needed more than she could give him. She did what she had to do. But orphanages are no place for children. Children belong with families. Period. I think that is why Yezelalem Minch struck a chord with us. They help to keep children with extended families, neighbors, or friends and when that is not possible, they live in family groups of 7 or so children with a house mother or two. This is a much better scenario than an orphanage! The people at Gelgela tried very hard and did their best to care for Esias, but the orphanage model is just not healthy for children. This is my opinion but I really believe it in my heart. I think that had Esias been in a foster or group home situation, many of his health problems would have been avoided. The reality is that foster homes are just not an option in Ethiopia. And, frankly, adoption is not the answer either. The Church needs to rise up and take care of this at the root. Jesus cared for the poor, fed the hungry, and gave the thirsty a drink. Where are we? Why are there still millions of orphans in Ethiopia alone?

1 comment:

erinannepro said...

Agreed....enough said. E