03 September 2009

Esias is Signing!

We used the Baby Signs technique for communication with both the girls, but they were so verbal so early the signs were quickly replaced by their words. We just recently started using baby signs with Esias and he is catching on quickly! It's no surprise, most 14 month olds are saying several words by now. While he is not speaking yet, his brain is definitely that of a 14 month old! But those pesky vocal cords are sort of impaired by his laryngomalacia. So, until that is fixed and healed, we will most likely be doing lots of signs with Esias. He LOVES it. We've introduced milk, more, bye-bye, hi, and all done so far. I also say "baca" with "all done" since that is the Amharic word and I love that phrase (and had to use it a lot with Birtukan's amazing cooking!) He imitates most of the signs and can use some of them on his own, but he mostly will just do it after we do it. I have no doubt though that after a couple weeks of mommy being consistent he will have these down. I need to learn some more signs! I had a book (maybe it's in the storage room?) once that showed lots of signs, but lots of them were of no practical use (rhinoceros, etc.). Anyone used a good Baby Signs system lately?

5 comments:

knielsen said...

That is great! I love baby signs. We only did a few as well, (all done, more, drink, eat, bye, please, thankyou). We started more with Taylor but realized these were the basics we used anyway. I would disagree that most 14 mo olds are saying words :) He will definitely catch up. Our 28 mo old is just now using more words! Autumn was the same way and now we can't get her to stop using words! :) Love you guys

Shadley said...

Well at least babbling then! E makes only the "Guh" consonant sound and the rest of shrieks of joy.

Anonymous said...

None of my three talked before 2 but they were all proficient signers. :) My first had about 60 signs and the other two about 40 a piece.

I taught them lots of animal signs by reading books and making the signs as we read the same board books again and again. Baby Signs has come out with some nice board books showing signs too that were a big hit here.

kyle and jennifer said...

i've read some of the baby signs book since it's something we want to start and was surprised that they encourage you to use whatever signs work/make sense for you and your baby (not necessarily the ones that are in the book) how freeing!

have fun and enjoy the shrieks of joy :)

laura b. said...

I'm so glad we've done signing with Sylvia. It is recommended to use the actual American Sign Language signs. Then you're child is actually learning another language! (and other people are more likely to recognize them since so many people sign now). Most are not more difficult than making up your own sign anyway. The girls might really enjoy learning them as well and take over some of the teaching for you!