28 May 2009
Sweet Sweet Reminder
An old High Schoolmate of mine and I were chatting on Facebook today. She has a son the same age as Esias that she and her husband adopted from the Marshall Islands several months ago. We were talking about bonding and she asked how old he was. When I told her, she gave me the sweetest little gem. She said, "That's amazing. He made it. He's almost one and he's been there this whole time." That really struck me. I have been so focused on the fact that we haven't gotten him when he was an infant or the fact that I am fairly certain he has some developmental delays, that I have failed to notice the miracle of his survival. He is an orphan. The infant mortality rate in Ethiopia is 75. We have firsthand experience with this statistic. And he made it! He is even growing! He has gained 1.5 kilograms since January! Baby Boy you are a survivor! I am so proud to be your momma!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
This brought me tears, Shadley. Yes, your Esias is a survivor.
I have thought the same thoughts about Levi. I think, "Wow, babe, you made it! I am so thankful!"
Post a Comment