21 July 2010

Tube News.

A few people have asked about the tube feeding. Earlier in the spring I had said we might be able to get rid of the tube totally in September. As of now, I am pretty sure that won't be the case. It's not that anything is wrong, it's just that he is going through that normal two-year-old phase of not wanting to sit and eat his meals. He eats about 1/2 of what he used to eat (or less)! In order to be able to get rid of the tube feedings, Esias has to keep his weight steady for two months of no feedings overnight. So far, we haven't been able to get rid of his overnight feeds because of his finicky eating patterns. His weight is steady between 27-28 lbs but it's down from 29. I think it's fine, he looks great to me. The tube is not so bad though, we feed him overnight and don't really have to think about it any other time. The tube site looks great and is not hard to maintain at this point. I am not too worried about it. We'll be done when we're done! At this point it is nice to have the tube option for those days when he does not eat well! Sometimes I wish I had one for all the kids!

1 comment:

HollyMarie said...

Shadley, good to hear that the tube site looks good and the tube isn't causing any problems. It's awesome that you have a way to keep Esias where he needs to be and yet still know that some time down the road he'll be through this stage and not need the extra feeding method. :)