Dan and I headed up to Chicago Friday morning to see my "dizzy doctor" at Northwestern University. He is a specialist in dizziness and balance disorders, so he is basically my kinda doc! We got there and checked into our hotel in the south suburbs (near IKEA!) and then drove the crazy city traffic to downtown Chicago. On the way there, we were scanning the channels for radio stations and heard one announcer say that Michigan Ave. was going to be closed due to the filming of Transformers 3! Our first thought was UH OH! Our appt. is on Michigan Ave. And then we thought, AWESOME. Supposedly they had been there working for a few weeks getting the set built and filming was going to start Saturday (yesterday) at 8am. We got down there and fortunately (or unfortunately) the set did not disturb our route at all, but we did hear that Shia LaBeouf was running around in traffic. So, off we go to the dizzy doc. First off, when you have a clinic that deals with people with balance problems and dizziness, DON'T have wet floors upon entrance. And, while we're at it, can you NOT make me ride an elevator? SHEESH. But I made it up to their floor in one proverbial piece and only waited 10 minutes for my appointment time. The Verdict: Dr. Hain does not want me to switch meds, he just increased the dose to 900ml per day (3 x 300). I tried to persuade him that I was a good candidate for a vestibular system removal :) but he didn't buy it. So, Rx in hand, we left and I had a mini-meltdown in the hallway because I hate doctors and I especially hate when doctors tell me to "be patient" or "wait and see" or other patronizing remarks. I know they are just being logical and methodical, but sometimes I want them to experience what I am experiencing, and maybe then they would move a little more quicker to a solution. Ug. Rant over.
We decided to avoid downtown because I was exhausted and emotional (woopsie) and went to IKEA. Shopping therapy! It was nice, but I was exhausted afterward. We ate in the cafeteria there which sounds silly but it is goooood. I love me some Swedish meatballs. We left there with a lamp, sheets, some curtains, a little green potty chair for my boy, and some chokolad for our hotel room enjoyment. Then we proceeded to get my scripts filled at Walgreens.
We handed the lady our scripts and she said, "When did you see this doctor? These scripts are dated April 2008." YGBKM. (That stands for "you gotta be kidding me." Try it out on Facebook, I dare you.) After much cajoling, the employee paged Dr. H. and he corrected the info, even though it was 7pm on a Friday night. Sorry, doc. Didn't drive four hours to leave without my meds!
The rest of the weekend was great and non-eventful in the good sense. Saturday, we met my cousin Matt who is in Chicago for an internship and had lunch together, followed by some geek-out time at the Apple store. After we said bye to Matt, we went back to the hotel, ate chocolate, watched HGTV and napped. Then we woke up and swam and then trekked over to the BEST barbeque place I have ever been to! Sweet Baby Ray's in Elk Grove. It was yummy!
We had fun together, just the two of us. We don't get to do that often. Every time I called home to check on the kids (and Esias especially) they were doing GREAT. Esias has never been left overnight by both of us at the same time so we wondered how he would do. Answer is--FABULOUS! Thanks Grammy, Papa, Berkley, Tiel, Claude, Brynn, and Will for watching them in shifts! Family=awesome.
3 comments:
Shadley, I'm sorry for the frustrations with the doc and that whole deal about the prescription being dated for April 2008 is wacko!! Glad you at least got some alone time w/ your hubby and some shopping therapy. :)
sounds like a fun trip. i love ikea :)
I'm sorry your appt. didn't go like you wanted. I have a really annoying doc who shall remain nameless that I went to see last week. My appointment was seriously 8 minutes. He basically patted me on the head and gave me some drugs. It is annoying, I agree. I'm glad you got to go to IKEA and had a nice weekend together.
Post a Comment