Good news at the doctor's office today. I took Esias in because he was getting some granulation tissue around his stoma (the hole in his stomach where the tube goes in). This is kind of normal but can be bothersome to the kids and make it leak and bleed. So they saw him today. When we were talking in the beginning of the visit, the doc and i were talking about how much weight he's gained. He was 29 lbs today! TWENTY NINE. That was fully clothed and with a cloth diaper on, but STILL. He has gained 10 lbs since being tube fed (Nov.). And 15 lbs since we brought him home. He has more than doubled his coming-home weight! I think she said it was 75% for weight! And 90% for height! Wowzers! So I asked her, how much longer will we need this tube? We've been cleared for liquids, though he can't chew correctly, he can still eat almost everything except hard foods. He can now eat small pieces of meat and other foods as long as they are cut small. So she said we could wait til his two-year appt. and if the doctor approves, we can discontinue overnight feeds - if he doesn't lose weight and continues to grow, he can have the tube removed in four months! YAY! So in September, he might be done with this! Woo hoo!!!!!!!!!!
Today she used silver nitrate to remove the granulation tissue and I, yes, I removed the old Mic-Key and placed a new one, while the docs were there to assist me and hold him down. He did AMAZING. Hardly cried and was so brave. I was so proud of him!! The site looks much better now. Pray for no more granulation tissue for E-man!
5 comments:
Yeah! That is great news! Sorry the little buddy had to do silver nitrate, but I'll be praying that was the last time. Love you guys!
such great news! so glad guys!
That's awesome news, Shadley! What a huge praise! So exciting to hear how well he is gaining weight, too.
Wow! Amazing how much he has grown. I remember meeting him and thinking about how little he was!
That is great news! You are one brave mama!
Post a Comment