09 April 2009

A Day in the Life of the GrimesFam


Loved Elly''s outfit today...it was quite a feat to keep it stain-free. This girl has never understood that her shirt is neither a Kleenex or a napkin.







She's not punching you, she was reenacting something from Disney's Cinderella.


I thought it might be fun to run down a typical day for anyone who cares. If that's not you, no offense taken :)

April 9, 2009...a typical day at our house.

7:00am Dan and I realize that the alarm is going off and we should be waking up. We had a late Wednesday night...
7:20am I go try to rouse the girls, with Eden this is impossible. Dan breaks the news that our beloved hamster of three months has gone from his earthly home to a heavenly one. Eden takes it well and says, "Well at least now we don't have to clean the cage." She'll make a good vet.
7:40am We are all stuck in the tiniest room in our house--the bathroom. Brushing teeth, going potty, Dan trying to shave or style his perfectly sculpted hair...
7:55am- Dan heads out the door amidst pleas for "one more hug and kiss!"
8:00am The girls and I are eating breakfast and Elly gets down from the table about 20 times in process.
8:10am I am yelling at people to get their shoes on for pete's sake...we do this every day, why is this step so difficult??? Coats, bag, keys, FOUND!
8:15am We're lucky school is close or we would not make it! Drop Eden off at school and cruise away. We head to Wal-Mart for two ginormo hams for Easter. While I'm there I pick up some cute flannel to make a blankie for Esias. I'm going to wash it in our detergent and sleep with it so it smells like us and then send it over for him. I also find a onesie that in my opinion will be very appropriate...eventually.

and here's the fabric...




9:30am- Mision Complida. Head home, refrigerate hams and head back out for more errands.
10am- Elly stands on her head in the waiting room at my appointment and rearranges all the office decor.
10:45am- Drive home with a three year old crying that we're going home instead of Tawget.
11am- Mommy's on Facebook but gets drawn away by a little brown-eyed girl asking to be read to. That is something I made a committment to my kids- if they wanted me to read a book to them, I would say yes!
Noonish- Daddy's home! Spaghettio's and other frozen entrees are consumed since there are no leftovers. Daddy gets in on the daily wiping--yes!
1:20 Play at Eden's school while we wait to pick her up- Elly makes a friend and chases spiders on the rocks at Van Allen.
1:50 Pick up Eden and drive to church for another errand. Chit chat with former coworkers, the kids entertain all, Pastor Jeff comforts Eden over the loss of her hamster with a folksy tale about his own-- lovingly named Ezra Tubbs. We play for a while on the church's play equipment and Eden reminisces her preschool days.
3pm- Home again, home again. Eden goes straight to climb the tree with her bag full of goodies and Elly hurts herself outside while trying to get her bike out of the shed. Comfort the crying kid and tell her she can watch some cartoons.
Check my email, check on Eden, Eden comes in and wants to watch TV too...we go in and discover Elly is asleep everso preciously watching Martha Speaks. Too cute. Too bad she'll be up til eleven.
4pm- Mommy's tired and ready for daddy to be home!! Blogreading. Load some pics on the computer. Bug my mom over IM.
4:20pm Decide to blog this. Wow, my life is exciting!!! If I hadn't gone to the church today I would not have spoken to anyone outside my family all day!

I think it was Jill that posted something along these lines- Normal day, let me be aware of what a precious gift you are. Or something like that! But I get it. My heart still skips a beat when the phone rings during the day, as if I am going to get another one of those calls telling me the child whose features we have memorized, whose room is decorated and waiting, whose sisters pray for him nightly is will not be coming home to be with us. Each day that goes by without that call is a good day!

3 comments:

emily said...

I'm sort of wondering where the "...and then i went to Sonic and got a special drink...and I wasn't too hungry so I decided to get an extra long chili cheese coney."

Margaret and Cordel said...

I love the little onesie!! SO perfect!!

THE BROWN BOYS said...

WOW! any day that is 'normal' is a good day in my book! although 'normal' is loosely defined when you've got kids like ours. you had me smiling about your day, up until the end, when I wasn't so much. It never occurred to me that a part of you has those thoughts when the phone rings. yet I can see why that would be true. you are a blessing to me shadley - you are real. you can always give me a call if you're needing adult conversation! and that's a great idea to make that blankie!