09 December 2009

Darn Kids Anyway!

Yesterday was one of those hellacious days. It started out well enough...we dropped Eden off at school and I had a last minute idea to run to Fareway before going home in anticipation of the big storm. That went off without a hitch, minus the mid-trip run to the stockroom toilet (Elly). So then we went home to put away groceries and get ready for our weekly visiting nurse appointment. Esias decided to poop a giant blow out while I was cleaning. No big deal, that's par for the course, right? Well, of course this is a cloth diaper and it's all out his leg and down his back. So he gets thrown in the bath but refuses to sit down (not sure) but I get him clean and safely out. I oil him up but stupidly (will I ever learn?) don't dress in, worrying more about the nasty diaper that sits on his changing table. I take that in the bathroom and begin rinsing it out, when suddenly I feel a warm sensation on my foot. Esias decided to pee on me and all over the bathroom rug. While all this is happening, the phone keeps ringing (the RN was late) which adds to the chaotic atmosphere. Finally, I get the stuff cleaned up, Esias dressed, and the nurse shows up right at that moment. Phew. That's all the chaos for the day, right? Read on...

After lunch, we had an appointment for Eden to get a lip ulcer checked out. Being the two-birds-with-one-stone type, I also scheduled the kids' shots for that same time, even though I knew I would be alone with the three kids and against my better judgement (seeing a pattern here?). The check up went fine, she needs to see the ENT. Fine. Then come the shots. Eden took them well, she got the FluMist for H1N1 and then had to have one shot for seasonal flu. She didn't cry one bit! Way to go. Then, I turn to Elly whose face is just crumpled up in fear. She is yelling "I don't want a shot! I don't want a shot!" at the top of her lungs. I pick her up, not an easy feat, and place her on the table. The nurse tries to hold her legs down while I hold her hands and upper body. She kicked and screamed and fought and kicked some more...eventually we got the shots done and she was SO livid and raging mad that she cried until she....you guessed it...threw up. So, the nurse grabs the trash can and throws it over to us, then directly turns around and begins gagging herself. So here I am trying to hold Elly's hair back and keep Esias out of the puke, while the nurse is over in the corner gagging. Eden is hiding behind the curtain talking nonstop because that is what she does when she is nervous. Finally, El is done and we get Esias' shots with just minimal crying. At this point, I am completely undone myself. I am annoyed at my kid who can't just sit still through a shot and at the nurse who can't handle a little vomit. For pete's sake. We drive home mostly silently, except for Elly saying, "I feel much more better now."

The day ended with a whopper of a vertigo spell that lasted a really long time and ended with me doing some amazing gymnastics across the kitchen floor. The stress had just gotten to me that day! The best part of the day was that while I was feeling sick and nauseous after I had vertigo, Elly came and held my hand and Eden rubbed my hair. Dan made me cookies later and let me veg on the couch. Even with crazy days like this, I have the best family ever and I love every minute of it!

4 comments:

Trish and Chris Higgins said...

Oh my Shadley, I think Super Mom is an understatement, you amaze me. If this makes you feel any better I think your life encourages and inspires some many especially moms and you sure put our lives in perspective. I love you!

Kelly Sittig said...

Oh, Shadley. Oooooohhhh, Shadley. That is one doosie of a day, my dear.

codi said...

Wow...now that's a day! How can you even be a nurse if you have a gag reflex that is that strong?!?! Again, wish I still lived there so I could pamper you a bit-thankfully you have a wonderful hubby and kids who are seeing to that:) Love you all.

jamie said...

we have had those days too- i never had to wear deodarant until i had kids :)
and when i was in labor i puked also- the nurse totally was gagging... weird! :)