14 June 2009

Name Explanation

Esias' legal name is still Yabetse Daniel Grimes. It is going to be that way til we re-adopt him in the States. (yeah I know, what the heck is re-adopt? can't we just do all this once? ) Anyway, but we have decided to name him Esias Tesfaye Grimes. We were planning to use Yabetse as a middle name, but when we got to Ethiopia our feelings were confirmed-- that his name Yabetse meaning "sorrow" was not a good name...in the words of precious Birtuan Sinshaw, our hostess, "You leave that name here." So, we went with his other given name, Tesfaye, which means "hope." That one fits him so much more!

So here's how you say it:
Esias (eh-ZIE-us) Tesfaye (TES-fie)

So, quite literally, his name means "Salvation Hope." We think it fits.

9 comments:

Margaret and Cordel said...

WOW.....is there really anything else that can be said?? Hugs to you all and I hope you all are just enjoying your time with eachother!! :)

Kinsey Mazunik said...

Perfect.

And thanks for the pronunciation :)

HollyMarie said...

Beautiful!

Beth said...

Yes, leave the name 'sorrow' in Ethiopia, and take the hope home with you. Birtukan is so amazing!

Jerod, Leah, Cayla, Eliana, and Zoey said...

I love his name, and I love all of your pictures and updates!!! Please keep them coming...

laura b. said...

Congratulations. He is beautiful and we are so happy for you.

Laura said...

Absolutely it fits.

Kate said...

Love the pictures...love the names you chose...so happy for you all!

Erin said...

Shadley, I just finally got on your blog again since you arrived home. I am in tears reading the meaning of his names. The words of his caregiver were so true! Amazing....Love to you all and praying for his recovery from pneumonia....but praise God he is home and can get the help he needs!:) Love, Erin